Covishield Vaccine – A Study on Side Effects and Effectiveness by AMCH

Covid Vaccine Heart Attack Mild Symptoms

A recent study conducted by physician-scientists from Assam Medical College Hospital (AMCH) in Dibrugarh, supported by an ICMR-recognised multidisciplinary research laboratory, has shed light on the side effects and effectiveness of the Covishield vaccine.

The study revealed that 55% of Covishield vaccine recipients experienced minor side effects such as fever and headache within a week of receiving the first dose. Interestingly, the remaining 45% of the recipients reported no adverse events at all. After the second dose, only 6.8% showed minor adverse events following immunisation (AEFI). Most importantly, no participant showed any major adverse events during the entire one-year period of the study.

The major (serious and severe) adverse events were defined as disabling, rare life-threatening conditions that may lead to long-term problems. The study also found that young individuals had more minor adverse events than the elderly individuals. Furthermore, those who had comorbidities or other health conditions showed fewer adverse events.

The study was conducted from July 2021 to June 2022, coinciding with the introduction of the Covishield vaccine for the public. The research findings were recently accepted for publication in the Journal of Family Medicine and Primary Care, a well-known PubMed indexed journal.

During the peak of the Delta variant wave in June 2021, it was found that 61% of the participants had been infected with the SARS-CoV-2 virus. The remaining 39% were sero-negative, meaning they had not contracted the virus and had received the Covishield vaccine. Regarding the effectiveness or antibody development, 93% remained positive and the antibody level was much higher in case of the vaccinated. Among those participants previously infected by SARS-CoV-2 virus, the first dose of Covishield vaccine acted as a booster dose and was enough to enhance a high rise of antibody titre in contrast to SARS-CoV-2 uninfected participants.

The final inference was that natural virus infections confer stronger immune responses than the Covishield vaccine alone. This study, led by Gayatri Gogoi, an associate professor of pathology at AMCH and a renowned cancer researcher, provides valuable insights into the side effects and effectiveness of the Covishield vaccine, contributing to our understanding of the vaccine’s impact in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.

You may also like:

Related Posts

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest

1 Comment
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
trackback
10 days ago

[…] updated vaccines” as the reason for the withdrawal. With the development of multiple variant Covid-19 vaccines, there has been a decline in demand for Vaxzevria, which is no longer being produced or […]

1
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x